30.6.13

From the Farmer to my Pantry

The best food to eat is what you grow yourself. It's free and healthy and tasty.
BUT, sometimes you have a bad year, like I did this last summer when it was so hot and dry. We hardly got any apples or pumpkins.
However, the next best thing is to buy from the local farmers, either from Farmers' Markets or roadside stalls. It is usually very cheap and you can help the farmer by buying his crops too.

I bought 3 big bags of apples from a farm that we passed on our way to Yarra Junction for a bike ride,














peeled them and cut them up for pies, cakes, apple crumble and apple dumplings,












cooked them with some water, lemon juice and sugar,































got some old spaghetti sauce bottles and cleaned them with boiling water,













then put the cooked apples into them. Now I will have plenty of apples in my cupboard (and some in the freezer) for all those lovely cakes and desserts later on in the year.












I also bought a huge pumpkin, cauliflower and a peach tree from a road side stall. Guess where the pumpkin will go? (Soup)












Here is Ella helping make a lovely big pot of cauliflower soup.
(delicious!)





 

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm I Wonder if The Soup is really Yummy?
    LovE FRom EmmY

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...